Cultural Support Worker (Full-time)
Noojmowin Teg Health Centre is seeking the services of a Cultural Support Worker for outreach and culturally relevant services to indigenous people living off-reserve within Espanola and area. The successful candidate will possess familiarity and experience with cultural and traditional supports and practices of Anishinabek people
Noojmowin Teg Health Centre is comprised of a multi-team of health care professions providing community-based services through the use of a wholistic approach that integrates both traditional and western healing methods. Our unique team includes: Primary Care and Allied Health Services, Mental Health & Addictions Services, Health Promotion and Traditional Healing and Cultural Services. Services are offered on-site and community based (through the Manitoulin Island District First Nations Health Centres).
Given the traditional practices of the Anishinabek, from time to time, exposure to wood smoke and the burning of sacred medicines, including tobacco, sweet grass, sage, and cedar, may occur within the work setting.
- Provide cultural support to indigenous clients and their families/caregivers throughout the life cycle in Espanola and the region
- Perform administrative duties in support of the program’s goals and objectives
- Lead organizational integration, quality improvement and cultural safety
- Perform other duties as assigned within the scope of the position
- Knowledge and demonstrated interest in traditional healing practices
- Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated willingness to learn the Anishinaabemowin language
- Knowledge of First Nation communities of Manitoulin Island
- Experience with data collection and e-charting
- Good interpersonal, listening and communication (written and verbal) skills
- Strong organizational skills including ability to complete work with deadlines, coordinate schedules and appointments
- Full Covid Vaccination status • Current CPR, First Aid Certification (or willingness to obtain)
- Valid Class G Driver’s License and own reliable vehicle
- Clear Vulnerable Sector Check
Submission: A cover letter, resume, and three (3) work-related letters of reference and current CPIC.
Applications: Can be received marked ‘Confidential’, by email at email@example.com, by facsimile at (705) 368-3922, or by mail:
Attn: Human Resources Noojmowin Teg Health Centre Postal Bag 2002, Hwy. 540 Aundeck Omni Kaning First Nation Little Current, ON P0P 1K0
To learn more about this employment opportunity, call (705) 368-2182 ext. 235.
Chi-miigwetch/Thank you for their interest in Noojmowin Teg Health Centre; only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
NTHC is an inclusive employer. Accommodation is available in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005.