Indigenous Wellness Promoter (Permanent Full Time)
Noojmowin Teg Health Centre seeks an energetic and enthusiastic candidate for the position of Indigenous Wellness Promoter. The Promoter will engage Anishinabek and indigenous individuals, families and children/youth (up to age 18) in a wide variety of healthy lifestyle activities including recreation, nutrition, mental wellness, addiction awareness, smoking prevention, diabetes awareness/prevention, life skills, etc, with the context of the Anishinabek ways of being. The incumbent will complete such work in both the Manitoulin Island and Espanola Districts representatively.
The Indigenous Wellness Promoter will work closely with Noojmowin Teg providers and area health and social service providers as an engaged and collaborative partner. The focus of the program is to ensure Anishinabek community members gain further knowledge and skills toward living a more wholistic and healthy lifestyle. The incumbent is responsible for all administrative duties required to implement, improve, and support the program’s success, reporting to the Health and Wellness Manager, and supported by an advisory committee comprised of community partners.
NTHC is an inclusive employer. Accommodation is available in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005.
Given the traditional practices of the Anishinabek, from time to time, exposure to wood smoke and the burning of sacred medicines, including tobacco, sweet grass, sage or cedar, may occur within the work setting.
• Degree or diploma in Health Promotion, Physical Fitness, Education or Social Work, or combination of relevant work experience and relevant education
• One to three year’s work experience coordinating, planning, and delivering health
• promotion activities to all age groups, and preferably with families and children/youth.
• Life Skills certificate, an asset.
• Anishnaabemowin and knowledge of the Anishnaabek culture and protocols, an asset.
• Demonstrated experience with budget maintenance and administration.
• Current Vulnerable Sector Criminal Record’s Check.
• Valid Class G driver’s license and reliable vehicle.
• Current CPR C and First Aid Certification.
• Ability to work in data electronic reporting environment, preferred.
• Excellent written, oral and technology based communication skills.
• Ability to work independently, yet part of an interdisciplinary team.
• Ability to work flexible hours and to travel.
Please submit a covering letter, resume, three (3) work-related letters of reference, copy of registration, a current criminal records check, vulnerable sector, a copy of valid driver’s license and driver’s abstract. Please mark correspondence as “Confidential”. Submissions will be accepted by mail, facsimile, or email.
Application deadline is December 6, 2019 at 12 noon
Attn: Human Resources
Noojmowin Teg Health Centre
Postal Bag 2002,
Hwy. 540, Little Current, ON P0P 1K0
T: (705) 368-2182 ext. 235
F: (705) 368-2229