Cultural Support Worker – 6 Month Contract (Maternity Leave) Espanola and Area
Noojmowin Teg Health Centre is seeking the services of a Cultural Support Worker for outreach and culturally relevant services to indigenous people living off-reserve within Espanola and area. This is a six month, maternity leave contract. The successful candidate will possess familiarity and experience with cultural and traditional supports and practices of Anishinabek people.
The Cultural Support Worker will work closely with internal and external health providers, in social service, justice, and education, providing cultural safety, support and culturally relevant activities. The incumbent will be a member of Noojmowin Teg’s multi-disciplinary team and will contribute toward building cultural knowledge and practices of the team.
The Cultural Support Worker will be central in ensuring that Anishinabek community members in the catchment area have access to cultural activities and culturally relevant support. Working closely with other Noojmowin Teg services, and other local stakeholders, and supervised by the Program Manager, the Worker’s services will be guided by the local traditional teachings as well as the Mission, Values and Guiding Principles of Noojmowin Teg Health Centre.
Check us out at our web-site for more information about the organization at: www.noojmowin-teg.ca. Given the traditional practices of the Anishinabek, from time to time, exposure to wood smoke and the burning of sacred medicines, including tobacco, sweet grass, sage and cedar, may occur within the work setting.
- A relevant post-secondary designation in human, Anishinabemowin, or social services, with a focus on Anishinabek people preferred
- Extensive work or personal experience in a cultural support capacity with Anishinabek people
- Experience facilitating cultural relevant workshops, presentations and activities
- Demonstrated ability to work with Anishinabek people of all ages
- Experience in successful report completion to funders and administration
- Ability to work within a technology based environment – Microsoft Office, electronic medical records, other software etc.
- An ability to work flexible hours to be accessible to community members
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills
- Excellent organizational and time management skills, and ability to be self-directed
- Understanding and sensitivity to the Anishinabek community’s cultural diversity
- Ability to speak Anishinabemowin, an asset
POSTED: Noojmowin Teg Health Centre is an inclusive employer. Accommodation is available in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005.
How to apply Please submit a covering letter, resume, three (3) work-related letters of reference, Proof of Registration/Designation a current vulnerable criminal records check (dated no later than three months), a copy of valid driver’s license and driver’s abstract. Please mark correspondence as “Confidential” Submissions will be accepted by mail, facsimile or email.
Application Deadline: June 25, 2020 at 12 pm
Submit Application to:
Noojmowin Teg Health Centre
Hwy 540, 48 Hillside Rd
Postal Bag 2002
Little Current, ON P0P 1K0
T: (705) 368-2182 ext. 235
F: (705) 368-2229.
We thank all for their interest and applications, only those under consideration will be contacted