Geriatric Social Worker - Full-time Maternity Leave Contract – 12 months
Noojmowin Teg Health Centre is seeking the services of a Geriatric Social Worker for a twelve (12) month maternity leave contract. Under direction, the Geriatric Social Worker will serve the Anishinabek elder population (ages 55+) within the Manitoulin Island District, in order to achieve optimum psychosocial functioning, prevent unnecessary deterioration and promote client independence. The incumbent will collaborate with health and social services to provide case management, mental health support and advocacy services.
Noojmowin Teg Health Centre is comprised of a multi-team of health care professions providing community-based services through the use of a holistic approach that integrates both traditional and western healing methods. Our unique team includes Primary Care and Allied Health Services, Mental Health & Addictions Services, Health Promotion, and Traditional Healing and Cultural Services. Services are offered on-site and community-based (through the Manitoulin Island District First Nations Health Centre’s). The Geriatric Social Worker will report to the Mental Health and Addictions Manager.
Given the traditional practices of the Anishinabek, from time to time, exposure to wood smoke and the burning of sacred medicines, including tobacco, sweet grass, sage, and cedar, may occur within the work setting.
NTHC is an inclusive employer. Accommodation is available in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005.
- Implement psychosocial assessments and best practice tools to develop client centered service plans, aimed at enhancing overall quality of life.
- Refer to, and collaborate with social and health care services to ensure a holistic approach to client care.
- Provide culturally relevant information to Anishnabek elderly clients, families and ensure referral is made to spiritual and cultural services where necessary.
- Provide one on one general supportive counselling for clients and families as required.
- Complete client medical records within the electronic database in an accurate and timely manner (2 business days).
- Perform administrative duties in support of the organization’s goals and objectives including preparing statistical reports, as well as participating in and promoting the interdisciplinary provider model
- Perform other duties as assigned within the scope of the position
- Minimum Bachelor’s Degree in Social Work. Masters level preferred.
- Current registration in good standing with the Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers.
- Minimum two years in Geriatric social work.
- Clear Vulnerable Sector Checks required.
- Current CPR C and First Aid Certification.
- Valid Class G driver’s license and have access to a vehicle.
- Experience working in First Nation communities, knowledge of traditions and customs
- Experience working within an electronic medical record system
- Strong knowledge of geriatric health and mental health needs
- Knowledge of the First Nation communities of Manitoulin Island
- Knowledge of the service providers within the Manitoulin Island catchment area
- Knowledge of First Nation health issues
- Understanding and sensitivity for the Anishinabe culture
- Skilled in interpersonal relations
- Strong time management skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Strong ability to prioritize, plan, organize and schedule
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Ability to speak Anishinabemowin is an asset
- Cover letter, resume, and copy of registration
- Three current work relevant references with contact information
- Current and valid vulnerable sector check (dated no later than three months)
Deadline: Friday, May 21, 2021 at 12:00 Noon
Attn: Human Resources
Noojmowin Teg Health Centre
Postal Bag 2002, Hwy. 540
Little Current, ON P0P 1K0
T: (705) 368-2182 ext. 235
F: (705) 368-2229
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.