Fire Keeper/Harvester (Full-time) 6 Month Contract
Noojmowin Teg Health Centre is seeking services of a Fire Keeper/Harvester (Full-time) 6 Month Contract, working under the guidance and supervision of the Knoweledge Keeper/Traditional Healers. The Fire Keeper/Harvester prepares and tends to the sacred fire and maintains the upkeep of the healing lodge and plant medicine storage area with inventory, tracking and the harvesting, making and storage of seasonal plants. The individual will collaborate/assist with the Knowledge Keeper/Traditional Healers to support healer clinics and appointments in the role of the Firekeeper/Harvester.
- Prepare and tend the organization’s sacred fires, maintains up keep of the healing lodge and other traditional healing spaces where services are delivered
- Support traditional healing services to community members and their families/caregivers under the guidance of the Knowledge Keeper/Traditional Healers
- Expand knowledge and skills in traditional medicine and healing practices
- Actively learn and be mentored by the Traditional Healers
- Support organizational integration, quality improvement and cultural safety
- Perform administrative duties in support of the program’s goals and objectives
- Is a recognized Fire and Lodge Keeper by regional Traditional Healer(s).
- Growing knowledge of regional Indigenous teachings related to medicines.
- Growing knowledge of traditional healing ceremonies.
- Ability to support the development and delivery of cultural safety training and other workshops.
- Knowledge of the First Nation communities of Manitoulin Island.
- Knowledge of the cultural services available on the First Nations within the Manitoulin Island catchment area.
- Growing knowledge of regional indigenous culture and history.
- Skilled in interpersonal relations.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong ability to plan, organize and schedule.
- Growing ability to speak Anishinaabemowin.
- Proficiency in Microsoft computer applications and other databases, Clear Vulnerable Sector Check required.
- Experience working within Electronic Medical Records, preferred.
- Proof of COVID19 vaccination status required
- Cover letter and Resume
- Three current work-related referencesSend to: Human Resources
Attn: Human Resources
Noojmowin Teg Health Centre
Hwy. 540, Postal Bag 2002
48 Hillside Rd., Aundeck Omni Kaning FN
Little Current, ON P0P 1K0
T: (705) 368-0083 ext. 235
F: (705) 368-3922
We thank all for their interest and application. Only those under consideration will be contacted.