Elders Connected Mentors – As needed, ending December 31, 2021 with possible extension to March 31, 2022
Noojmowin Teg Health Centre is seeking four mentors between the ages of 18-29 years old for the Elders Connected Tablet Project. Under direction of the Elders Connected Coordinator and the Health and Wellness Manager they will provide support services to Elders on the seven First Nations of Manitoulin Island. The mentor will work with Elders in a variety of settings including at: community Elders’ facilities, in hospital,s or in the Elders’ home.
Noojmowin Teg Health Centre is comprised of a multi-team of health care professions providing community-based services through the use of a holistic approach that integrates both traditional and western healing methods. Our unique team includes Primary Care and Allied Health Services, Mental Health & Addictions Services, Health Promotion, and Traditional Healing and Cultural Services. Services are offered on-site and community-based (through the Manitoulin Island District First Nations Health Centres).
Given the traditional practices of the Anishinabek, from time to time, exposure to wood smoke and the burning of sacred medicines, including tobacco, sweet grass, sage, and cedar, may occur within the work setting. NTHC is an inclusive employer. Accommodation is available in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005.
Mentors will be hired according to proximity to service communities. Communities include: 1) Zhiibaahaasing and Sheshegwaning; 2) M’Chigeeng and Mindemoya Hospital; 3) Whitefish River, Little Current Hospital, and Aundeck Omni Kaning; 4) Wikwemikong and Sheguiandah
Duties and Responsibilities
- Commit to 20 hours of mentor training prior to working with Elders
- Schedule Elder mentoring sessions
- Track the Elders progress and completion of training modules
- Provide ongoing support to Elders and community partners while Elders gain competency with tablet use
- Participate in mentoring training sessions and monthly touch base meetings
- Maintain confidentiality of information
- Distribute and track tablets that are assigned
- Submit monthly activity sheets to receive honorarium
- Perform other duties, as assigned, within the scope of the position
- Follow Covid-19 safety protocols to ensure personal and Elder safety while performing duties
- Clear Vulnerable Sector Checks required
- Valid Class G driver’s license and have access to a vehicle Preferred
- Experience working in First Nation communities, knowledge of traditions and customs
- Experience working within Elders
- Current CPR C and First Aid Certification (to be taken when available) Knowledge
- Strong teaching skills • Knowledge of the First Nation communities of Manitoulin Island
- Understanding and sensitivity for the Anishinabe culture Skills
- Familiar with Samsung tablets and android operating system
- Skilled in interpersonal relations
- Strong time management skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills Ability
- Strong ability to prioritize, plan, organize and schedule • Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Ability to speak Anishinabemowin is an asset
Due to the fact that this work requires the mentors to work with Elders who are considered a vulnerable population the following will be required prior to the start of work:
- Minimum of one dose of a COVID19 vaccine and willingness to adhere to strict Covid 19 safety protocols; and
- Current, within the past 3 months, Vulnerable Sector Screening.
Please Note: The mentors will be remunerated for services through an honorarium/gift card that is based on hours of service with some travel compensation.
Please submit: Cover letter and resume, Three current work relevant references with contact information
Deadline: Wednesday, June 30, 2021 at 12:00 Noon
Attn: Human Resources
Noojmowin Teg Health Centre
Postal Bag 2002, Hwy. 540 Little Current,
ON P0P 1K0
T: (705) 368-2182 ext. 235
F: (705) 368-3922
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.